Saturday, April 10, 2004

The Day Mami Died

"Mami died at 12:15 AM. Please pray that she may rest in peace"
This was a message that I received from my friend Marisa
I sent her a message saying "Are you all right? And I asked about the details of the funeral.

Diagnosed with cancer almost four years ago, Mami had been at war with her disease since. She had lived longer than expected. She had been a fighter.She had been in and out of the hospital until she said enough.

Three days ago I was chatting with my friend online and I asked her this question.How would you like to die slowly or suddenly? She didn’t say anything. Then I answered my own question .Its not in my hands whether God will take me swiftly or slowly I will try to leave everything in God's hands. That takes away a lot of the worry, because I couldn't ask for anything better than what God wants for me, and I know everything will work out in the end." Because I know that he will help me with a fate against which I am powerless.

What separates the way people approach death's door depends on their perception of how it opens. Some see it opening into an abyss of darkness and non-existence. For others, the door opens to another side, which they face with--albeit apprehensive--uncertain anticipation. For them, the human spirit is indomitable. Perhaps the art of healing is not one of cheating death, but an art of helping people to be oriented toward life in all its possibilities--even life after death. In the final analysis, the way we have to deal with death is a reflection of the way we are brought up and what culture and society dictate upon us.

People always find it strange when I tell them that I like reading obituaries of people. Whenever I go to a funeral I try not to look at the coffins but to look at their pictures which help me remember them. I still sometimes wonder if Mami knows what she taught me and what impact she had on me; and I tell myself that somehow she does - but maybe that's just to calm my conscience. But I shall always remember Mami’s face and that smile left me the last time I saw her.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------